Audio-visual? There’s an app for that.
You would think Apple had enough on their plate yet once again they have managed to adapt their iPad tablets and iPhone’s to a whole other industry and this time it involves audio-visual. Two of the main control brands we use, AMX and Crestron, have both created control systems that work from a tablet or phone, which means you’re unlikely to lose any remotes and can be even more subtle than before.
Here is a quick back to back comparison of the two favourites so you can see what would suit you best.
- AMX TPC-Apple:
- Touch control of AV systems, lighting, shades, room temperatures and more.
- Communicate via 3G, GPRS, and WiFi
- Ideal for wireless in home cinema systems and controlling presentation equipment in boardrooms.
- VoiceControl – Using Speech-to-Text and Text-to-Speech functionality within TPControl allows you to talk to your control system and have it talk to you. For example, you say “Turn the entry lights on” and TPControl initiates the command and replies “The entry lights are on” when completed.
- AppControl – Launch installed applications directly from TPControl; start an SMS, launch an email client, web pages and much more without leaving the TPControl environment.
- Multi-Profiles – Dynamically and instantly change connection profiles such as office or home, connecting seamlessly to different control systems from the same device.
- Intercom – Converse from TPControl to devices such as the AMX Metreau Communicator, AMX Intercom enabled touch panels, and other TPControl enabled devices
- TPCloud – Cloud power lets you update TP4 files, change device settings or even apply tokens to TPControl devices, right from the My Account section of the Touch Panel Control website.
- eICSP – Encrypt, Verify and secure ICSP data for your local and remote connections.
- Crestron Mobile Pro:
- AV systems, lighting, climate control, shades, security and other functions from virtually anywhere.
- Open and flexible configuration means that regardless of your tablet, everyone can use Crestron’s app and if a phone breaks, it is easy to switch platforms.
- Create playlists for your media ready in advance and then schedule through the app for when you need them
- Supporting Wi-Fi and mobile broadband network connectivity, Crestron Mobile Pro keeps you connected wherever you are. Even away from home you can turn lights on or off, let the repairman in, or quickly adjust a presentation.
- The app allows you to view live video streams, which are perfect for security uses.
- In 2011, the Crestron Mobile Pro App won ‘Best Mobile App to Manage AV Systems’ at the AVT awards.
As you can see, both of these apps are often marketed towards home use, such as automation and security, but as mentioned about the AMX app, these platforms are great for controlling presentations in boardrooms, saving on electricity in large office environments and security in any environment.
For more information on these two products or for other advice on apps involving audio-visual please feel free to contact us.